Take 5 minutes right now and write down all your top excuses for not changing your circumstances.
- I am too busy to fill-in-the-blank
- I do not have enough money
- I am not smart enough
- I feel alone
- My work culture does not support my career development
- I do not have the time to pursue fun stuff right now…I have bills to pay
- I need a certification or MBA to do that
- I am not in a position of power, so I cannot lead
- I am too tired
- I don’t know how to even begin
How does that feel? For me, it feels like a lead balloon resting on my chest holding me down.
Now take 5 seconds and write this:
I have dreams.
How does that feel? For me it feels like fun.
Does it resonate at all?
Can you admit that even with all the excuses you also have a dream?
- I dream to lead people
- I dream to move up in my career
- I dream of getting my welder’s license
- I dream of starting my own business
- I dream of sharing what I know with the masses
- I dream of helping other women in tech achieve their dreams
- I dream of having greater impact in my work